Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Lowering The PH Of My Shampoo

Just a short blog to talk about playing with the PH of my shampoo (or rather shampoos I have purchased that I could tell were off in PH). I've been up on the PH info since 1999. I don't talk much about because so many other bloggers do. I figure I'd be beating a dead horse. I figured today I'd let you in on how I get around the issue.


I know for a fact that my hair hates anything over a 5.5 in PH. I also know instantly when a shampoo is over that. And unfortunately for me most sulfate & sulfate free shampoos are above that. And I have yet to find a truly organic shampoo that cleans my scalp to my liking. Still looking though.

I did some research into shampoos years ago and found out there are very little differences between them other than added oils and fragrance. There are however, a lot of differences in conditioners. I also found out that they mostly lower the PH with citric acid. 



I live in an area FULL of sources of citric acid. I even have a lemon tree right in the back yard. Now Monday I didn't want to pluck one simply for the purpose of lowering the PH of my shampoo when I would need so little. So, I used a bottle of lemon juice I borrowed from my mother a while back.

I added 2 1/2 teaspoons to my shampoo not realizing that my bottle wasn't full ( I HAD a huge container of shampoo.) I could have used much less. It was overkill but it got the job done. I made $3 shampoo feel like my Aphogee in a matter of minutes.

If you try this, don't be foolish like me. Know the percentage per oz of shampoo or use a PH test strip.

Next up, I might try some baby shampoos again since I'm loving their listed PH. At least until I either A) find that organic holy grail or B) Figure out how to make my own shampoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No offensive, rude, or violent language or you risk being banned from comments. SPAMMERS WILL BE BLOCKED.