Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Making Your Wig Look Real!

Don't want to look too "wiggy"? Don't leave the house before trying this. These are a couple of techniques I learned (mostly from YouTube. Don't you just love YouTube?!) for making your unit look much more real. Only I added my own little twists to their techniques.

The first one is the artificial part. Now most people (if they have a lace front) just bleach the knots (turn the wig inside out and apply bleach). However there is a technique that works well on both skin top and lace front wigs. As a matter of fact I'm demonstrating on how to create this optical illusion on a partial skin top (meaning it's part full).

First you want to use a powder close to your skin color. You can use eyeshadow or face powder. I'm using my Mac powder for this unit.


Part the hair and dap the powder where you want the part to be. You can gently brush off the excess with a cloth. I use my finger because I like to manually fade it.


 Put the wig on then apply more powder to where the edge of your wig and your hairline meets. My Twist: On this unit the edge is NOT a skin top OR lace front but you see how it still creates an optical illusion?



Another thing to add to make your wigs more realistic is baby hair. Yeah I know it sounds ghetto, and you've seen some bad ones. However, using this method you can decide how much or how little.

First use a toothbrush to pull down the amount of strands you need from the hairline.


Then take a razor and cut the hair eye level (if you don't have a razor use scissors and cut diagonally down NOT across). I'm using an eyebrow shaper. My Twist: I either A) curl them with a curling iron on very low or B) spray with water, brush them in the direction I want them to go, then apply a scarf until dry. I may even cut them shorter after ( to eyebrow length).


No comments:

Post a Comment

No offensive, rude, or violent language or you risk being banned from comments. SPAMMERS WILL BE BLOCKED.